Injured at a Friend’s Home? Here’s What to Do

injured at friends

Accidents can happen anywhere – and they do. Unfortunately, this includes a friend or family member’s property. Many people experience slip and fall injuries on someone else’s property. So what should you do? 

It can be emotionally difficult to navigate a personal injury claim against a friend. But if you have mounting medical bills and lost earnings, an award of damages can make a big difference.

1. Seek medical attention right away.

When people experience a slip and fall they often don’t feel any injuries immediately afterward. This is because many injuries take days or even weeks after the incident to appear. But since you could be experiencing very serious or even life-threatening internal injuries and not even know it, it’s important to be examined by a medical professional. 

2. Collect evidence. 

Make sure to take note of the specific facts and circumstances surrounding the slip and fall accident. This includes your injuries and how they affect your daily life. Since memory fades with time, a good idea is to keep a journal. In your journal you may want to include:

  • The date, time, and location of the accident
  • The homeowner’s name and their relationship to you
  • Names, phone numbers, and addresses of any witnesses
  • Medical records of your injuries
  • Pictures of your injuries and/or the scene of the accident
  • Lost income due to your injuries
  • Changes to your life (i.e. did you need to modify your home to fit a wheelchair?)

3. Collect your friend’s homeowner’s (or renter’s) insurance.

It’s important to keep in mind that when you sue for a personal injury that occurred at a friend’s home, you don’t look at it as suing them but rather their insurance company. That’s why you will need the name of the policyholder and the insurance company’s name and contact information. Their policy will probably pay for your relevant losses and medical bills due to your injury. If your friend rents their home (rather than owns it), you will also want to obtain their landlord’s insurance policy information, as he or she may share in the liability. 

If your friend rents their home or apartment, you should also collect the landlord’s insurance policy information. The landlord may share some liability for your injuries. 

Contact a Qualified Personal Injury Attorney

It’s always a sensitive issue when you are suing for your injuries incurred at a friend’s home. It’s important to understand how to best navigate such a situation. Additionally, insurance companies will often underpay you or refuse to pay you at all. Working with a qualified California personal injury attorney can impact the outcome of your case.

At the Law Offices of David P. Kashani, our experienced California personal injury lawyers work strategically to help our clients obtain just compensation. When you become our client, you will have peace of mind knowing that our legal team is on your side. We will guide you through all aspects of your personal injury claim and make sure that your interests are protected. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, call us today!

Related Posts
  • What Is the Federal Tort Claims Act? Read More
  • What Is a Liability Waiver and When Can it be Enforced in CA? Read More
  • 3 Reasons You Shouldnt Diy A Personal Injury Claim Read More